Procurementtips.com - Exchanging tips, tactics, information and views between Purchasing and Supply Management Professionals teblos

Go Back   Procurementtips.com - Exchanging tips, tactics, information and views between Purchasing and Supply Management Professionals > Specialized Topics > Public Sector Procurement
User Name
Password
Register Help Members List Calendar Search Top Posts Mark Forums Read

Public Sector Procurement Questions specifically dealing with various aspects of Public Sector Procurement. Remember to indicate which COUNTRY you are from

Old 09-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Procurementtips Member

South Africa
mmququ is on a distinguished road
Question Negotiation Tactics

Can someone explain in details Negotiation Tactics?

-->
Old 09-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Procurementtips Member

South Africa
Gregg Barrett is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Negotiation Tactics

In short there is a substantial amount of information covering this topic. The important thing to note is that the concepts and methodolgies that can be utilised are not really specific to the Public or Private Sectors but rather, cultural influences and other like factors are the major drivers of different approaches being used.

I have attached three short documents that can provide you with some insight on negotiation tactics and that may spark some thoughts or ideas. Importantly the one document questions the approach of negotiation, something which is becoming more common these days.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Negotiation Tactics.zip (15.6 KB, 301 views)
Old 09-13-2006, 07:13 AM
Procurementtips Member

South Africa

Very informative and interesting Gregg, this has given me the insight.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Procurementtips Member

South Africa
Graham is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I think your market research is very important and can help you in negotiations....try looking at supplier cost structures, supplier market position etc....before going into negotiations.....if there is a chance to meet informally with them..try to do this beforehand to suss what you are up against...and also complile your wish list - very important!!.......and practice your tactics..eg chinese crunch etc....and practice with your cross-functional team before the big day!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 08:52 AM
Procurementtips Member

South Africa

Great.Highly appreaciated
Old 09-19-2006, 01:37 AM
Supply Chain Guru

Australia
David is on a distinguished road

Also, try and find out on what sales training courses the supplier sent their staff, and/or what sales methodology they follow.

If you adapt your wishlist to their selling steps, it is usually a pleasant, successful and profitable process for all concerned.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Procurementtips Member

Namibia
omao is on a distinguished road

Also, one of the important process is the Process Framework. Basically there are 5 steps to manage:

1. Process step 1 - Diagnose the Needs (theirs/ours). There are usually two levels operating (stated organizational needs vs hidden personal needs).

2. Process step 2 - Choose the Style (cooperative (blue) vs competitive (red). Intentionally you would then bring in flexibility.

3. Process step 3 - Control the Climate (there are 3 key Interactive variables: Time, Place and Mood. I remember once we arranged the chairs in the our boardroom in a such a way that the suppliers delegates were facing the sum and close to the door which gave the message that they were close to the exit point and we controlled the climate. Needless to say, they acquiescied)

4. Process step 4 - Identify / Use Tactics and Counter Tactics (to alter the perceived Balance of Power (what is your exit point/strategy, where can we compromise but never lock yourself into a position) Difficult to get out if nailed

5. Process step 5 - Manage the different Phases (Introductory, Differentiation, Integration and Settlement). But you need to pace purposefully to manage them

All the above then focuses on the Outcome you want to achieve. This could be:

(i) Short term
(ii) Long term

Above all else, you have 3 key time zones to manage:

1. Pre-Negotiation influencing where Key activities are

- Review History
- Research the content
- Prepare the process
- Develop OP (Other Party) Relationship (s)
- Involve Third Parties
- Rehearse (perhaps the most important part)

2. Formal Negotiation (Remember the Process step 1, 2 and 3)

3. Post-Negotiation Implementation where Key activities are

- Celebrate
- Documentation
- Lock-in / Monitor Compliance
- Review the Relationship (s)
- Advise Third Parties
- Audit Content and Process

I hope the above helps. I am currently preparing to sit for the CSCP Exam in December 2006 and have a fair degree of knowledge and experience in International Negotiations and Purchasing. Will dig a little deeper during the course of the week and update this response.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Procurementtips Member

South Africa
Gregg Barrett is on a distinguished road

In addition to my previous response, i can also provide you with the following that may be useful - "the Art of Negotiation"
Attached Files
File Type: zip The Art of Negotiation.zip (5.2 KB, 139 views)
Old 02-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Procurementtips Member

South Africa

Hi

How did the exam go, hope all went well.Thank you for response, has made a difference.
I have been tasked to come up with a cost saving solution on our travelling expenditure.
We are currently spending approximately R25m year on year on travelling.We make use of two travell agents paying them booking fee,management fee and 10% when they book us a cheaper flight.

There was an option of emplying one more person to assist the current one but then book on line using two diners card.

But it was never persued because of risks anticipated.

Now I have to explore some options.

Any advice on this
Old 02-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Procurementtips Member

Namibia
omao is on a distinguished road

Let me dig a bit deeper in the documentation I have and I will be able to provide some pointers.

No, I decided to skip the December CSCP exam because I was a bit on the scary side of not reaching the full marks I was aiming for and would sit either one of the two exams this year.