Procurementtips.com - Exchanging tips, tactics, information and views between Purchasing and Supply Management Professionals teblos

Go Back   Procurementtips.com - Exchanging tips, tactics, information and views between Purchasing and Supply Management Professionals > World-Class Procurement Processes > Procurement / Business Strategy
User Name
Password
Register Help Members List Calendar Search Top Posts Mark Forums Read

Procurement / Business Strategy Strategy for creating a World-Class Procurement Organisation, Integration with Business Strategy and Planning.. Ability to influence the organisation's overall strategy. Selling the Procurement Business Case

Old 01-31-2007, 09:43 AM
Procurementtips Member

South Africa
Graham is on a distinguished road
Default Lean Solutions - Transforming the organisation

Hi there,

Okay...so you think you're saving money for your organisation....think again...

Who of us knows exactly how our savings are translated into bottom line?

Until we start with the re-engineering of our processes and re-evaluate our procurement best practice - we have another thing comming.

We don't always like to - but again we need to look to the East for answers...how do they do it? In certian industries it has created total turn around...what is it you might ask....well it's lean solutions...cutting out all the red tape...unnecessary steps that add to costs and destroy value. Anything that does not add value - is waste.

It was originally conceptualized by Toyota and is practiced in varying degrees across the globe.
I've recently been introduced to this concept and have a hunger to learn
more...Are there any Six Sigma Black Belts out there that could help?
There's so many buzz words floating around...value stream mapping, process analysis,value anaylsis etc etc.....

Where does one start?

I would like to get into contact with anyone that could shed more light on this subject.

Regards.
Graham
''Today better than yesterday...tomorrow better than today.''
graham.mitchell@pathcare.co.za

-->
Old 06-18-2007, 06:25 AM
Supply Chain Guru

Australia
David is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lean Solutions - Transforming the organisation

Hi Graham

I think you need to start earlier than looking at methodologies like Six Sigma and look at culture, both macro and micro. The east has a culture of striving to do better, and their corporations reflect that (generally). Improvement and innovation get applauded and rewarded.

But you still need a few individuals that are willing, able and capable of challenging the norm.

This is difficult, especially if you are an outsider. Quite often, the people you need to support your vision first has to admit that you can do it better than they can. This can result in very good ideas being rejected simply to save face.

Although nearly everyone will say they embrace change, the opposite is usually true.

There are formal selling and business development strategies that you can follow to build support for change in your organisation. These are consultative selling processes that gather information, build trust and support and develop win – win outcomes.

Basically you have to be an evangelist for change!

You have to create a vision of the future and develop support from stakeholders than can help you get a ‘YES”.

You have to be able to quantify the benefits of implementing your vision.

Investing in change need to deliver bottom line results. So increase sales, decrease cost or increase asset utilisation. Ultimately you are asking for investment to realise your vision, and the people controlling the finances need to show a return on their investment. If you can help them achieve their goal, you are well on your way.

I am happy to discuss individual cases offline and assist in building business cases for change.

Regards

David
Old 06-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Procurementtips Member

South Africa
Graham is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lean Solutions - Transforming the organisation

Hi there David,

Thanks for your invaluable input - i am new to this concept and all information that i currently have is self taught. I have had no formal training or introduction to Lean Management Tools except for some books on the subject.

I am eager to learn and i hunger the knowledge that could so easily tip the scale - and lead the organisation's competitive advantage.

Has this concept been included in Best Practice Policies in Procurement circles - are there any case studies available locally?

I am contactable off-line on the e-mail addy provided. If there are any additional information on this subject - please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
Graham