Procurementtips.com - Exchanging tips, tactics, information and views between Purchasing and Supply Management Professionals teblos

Go Back   Procurementtips.com - Exchanging tips, tactics, information and views between Purchasing and Supply Management Professionals > Specialized Topics > Public Sector Procurement
User Name
Password
Register Help Members List Calendar Search Top Posts Mark Forums Read

Public Sector Procurement Questions specifically dealing with various aspects of Public Sector Procurement. Remember to indicate which COUNTRY you are from

Old 10-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Procurementtips Member

South Africa
Gregg Barrett is on a distinguished road
Default Negotiating Relationships in the Public Sector

The public sector has significant influence on private sector contracting. Many innovative terms and contracting methods have seen their beginnings in public procurement - examples range from 'termination for convenience' through to public-private partnerships.

Yet for all the innovation, the popular image of public procurement remains one of bureaucracy, inefficiency and under-performing contracts. Within private sector firms, negotiators dealing with government or public agencies are generally viewed as having 'drawn the short straw'. They are not typically the top performers, since the room for creativity or imagination is seen as limited. Public sector processes are not just moribund, but they stifle win-win relationships. - Tim Cummins, CEO IACCM

- Attached I have provided the document that provides further coverage on this matter and found it to be thought provoking.

-->
Old 11-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Procurementtips Member

South Africa
lettice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Negotiating Relationships in the Public Sector

Well said Grett,
there is so many opportunities when it comes to Public sector procurement and do believe that with this kind of research and comment, there will be light at the end of tunnel to eventually improve the image and approach of Public Sector Procurement. Even though the ultimate goal or objective between the two sectors ( public - service delivery and responsible use of public funds vs private - cost saving and profit for shareholders) is different, i strongly believe that if the same principles and strategies that are applied in private sector are to be applied in public sector, an improved operational efficiency will be realised as compared to a current situation where things are done narrowly without taking into consideration all other relevant factors. The govenrment agencies can still be able to conduct supplier performance,negotiate good contract terms,implement sound operational systems etc.

I have worked at one of the government's agencies and with my knowledge and experience, i thought one will be able to untap the opportunities that lies within the public sector procurement functions, but because of political and the approach used in dealing with the procurement matters, one will end up losing focus on what strategies really matters to implement a world class procurement.

With all said and done, i still believe one day i will be able to untap the opportunities in order to make public sector efficient and effective.without doubt of course