We're trying to get some consensus on the process (incl number of quotes) that buyers should obtain based on the value of items to be purchased.
A mining company I dealth with recently had the following process:
- A requisition is generated in SAP for non-contract goods or services
- The requisition follows the release approval process within SAP.
- If items in requisition is not on material master, a codifier creates an item on the materials master.
- The approved requisition is forwarded via SAP to the appropriate buyer coordinator.
- The buyer coordinator issues an request for proposal to approved suppliers:
- To one approved supplier for items below R5000
- To three approved suppliers for items between R5000 and R10,000
- Suppliers respond verbally (items below R5000) and by fax (items between R5000 and R10,000)
- Buyer adjudicates and places order via SAP
- Receiving and accounts payable follows
Any ideas on doing it differently? Point 3 could be quite hard to implement?